Wednesday, December 22, 2010

How kids learn to handle Money

Recently a home school forum I belong to posed the question - what do you do to get your kids used to handling money?

Here's my reply - which I thought may be a little in line with this particular blog
(On a personal note with the kids - today my eldest kept asking the little one to be quiet - which of course she wouldn't - eventually he turned to her, when she asked WHY???? and he replied "For goodness sake, I am at my Wicks end with you" (notice the Wicks and not Wits!)
Luckily I was driving and looking straight ahead and they couldn't see the cheesy grin I stifled)

We have always tried to get the kids to assist with everything we do as a family.
I'd like to say it is quite altruistic, however in actuality, I really need a hand most times (as I have so much on my plate with travel, writing, lecturing, etc, etc)
Sometimes I think we ask a little too much of them, however, my DS (Darling Son) 11 & DD (Darling Daughter) 6 are both quite able to collect up the washing, put it in the machine and get it going correctly by themselves, then able to fold (not quite as neat as I'd like - but hey - who's to complain over help) the wash and put it in the rooms and away.
They can both dust the entire house and the eldest can vacuum.

We have made it a bit of a rule that they don't get paid for these things and say "that's all part of living together with other people" we all have chores to do to create a harmonious living environment.
However, if they want pocket money, there's always things I need a hand with at work (home office) ie - shred all the scrap paper, fold some brochures, stuff items into bags, roll up bubble wrap into manageable sizes, etc, etc and if they do anything over the household stuff - ie - wash the cars, clean the windows, vacuum more than once a week - then those are considered additional duties and they get paid for them.

I pay for clothes, food, necessities and occasional treats, if they want more - ie - latest fashions, speciality sunglasses, lollies, etc, then they use their money for those things.

They compare prices when we shop & I have to stifle a giggle sometimes when the eldest exclaims in horror to DD6 "are you out of your mind wanting that, have you seen the price tag"

Sure, we all doubt what we do at times, but lately I notice that when I spend $65 yesterday on buying them movie tickets, they are really grateful and understand how I need to work to raise the funds.

Sometimes I will say - I can't play more games with you as I need to answer emails to earn some money as we have been doing things together all day and they understand and go about getting themselves ready for bed.

Lately, they love to collect the chooks eggs and boil them up by themselves with toast for lunch.
Doesn't sound a lot, but I think at least they can cook boiled eggs when they leave home (hopefully skills will improve - but hey - I'll take that now!)

Lately I have let them pay for items at the checkout / restaurants with my money / credit card and they are getting a good idea how it works.

We love op shops - not necessarily because they are cheaper - however, more to the point - it appeases my sense of recycling.
I love the thought of things NOT being tossed out, the benefit for the children is that they are learning to repair things (ie - an old bicycle that just needed new chains for $5) and build and create. I feel in a world that they are entering, these skills will be more necessary than ever.

1 comment:

  1. Peace and Light, Lesley

    I enjoy your blog!
    All the best to you in 2011!!!

    Stay well,

    Ten Nebula
    Tennebula.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete